Museums are institutions which preserve historic and modern artefacts. However, there are some museums which display weird and sometimes downright creepy exhibits. Hence we have compiled a list of weird museum exhibits found across the world.
Read about the 16 weird museum exhibits found across the world!
1) You can see parts of Albert Einstein’s brain at the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia, USA.
2) Amsterdam’s Museum of Torture houses over 100 grim medieval torture devices including an impressive skull.
3) Mütter Museum’s most famous weird exhibit is the soap woman. It is essentially a 19th-century body that was burned and combined with chemicals to turn her into soap!
4) A 30-foot tapeworm which was pulled out of a woman’s stomach is on display at the Museum of Parasitology in Tokyo, Japan.
5) There is a weird exhibit full of cockroaches dressed as celebrities such as Elvis at Texas’ Cockroach Hall of Fame Museum.
6) As the name suggests, the Icelandic Phallological Museum exhibits all things penile. They even have a special section for whale penises.
7) Our list consists of all things weird so its no wonder that Italy’s ‘Shit Museum’ is on the list. A fun fact about the museum is that all of its exhibits are repurposed out of cow dung!
8) The ‘Froggyland Museum’ in Croatia displays taxidermied frogs in human positions such as sitting in classrooms and rowing boats.
9) Galileo Galilei’s middle finger is one of the weird museum exhibits at the Galileo Museum in Italy.
10) The Museum of Mummies displays more than 100 naturally mummified bodies. The world’s smallest mummy can be found here.
11) Hollywood’s Museum of Death displays the severed head of the notorious French serial killer Henri Landru.
12) Other weird museum exhibits found at the Museum of Death are the photos of the dismembered body of a woman’s ex-boyfriend. They are displayed under the title ‘For your consideration’.
13) Siriraj Medical Museum is certainly not for the faint-hearted! It has weird exhibits such as mummies and bones. Additionally, it even displays the corpse of Si Ouey, a serial killer notorious for eating children.
14) The Catacombe Dei Cappuccini, Italy is truly macabre! The catacombs house over 8000 corpses and more than 1000 mummies. Its most famous exhibit is the well-preserved body of Rosalia Lombardo. Dubbed as the ‘sleeping beauty’, her body is remarkably preserved with all its organs intact!
15) The Avanos hair museum in Turkey is famous for its weird exhibit of human hair! These locks are deposited by passing visitors.
16) The last on our list of weird museum exhibits found across the world are the plastinated corpses displayed at the Plastinarium museum in Germany. Additonally, they also demonstrate the graphic yet gripping process of plastination to the visitors.
Enjoyed the above article? You may also enjoy 45 interesting facts about museums