One of the most recognised symbols of San Francisco, California is the Golden Gate Bridge. According to Frommer’s travel guide, the bridge is the most beautiful, and the most photographed, bridge in the world! Additionally, at the time of its opening in 1937, it was the tallest and biggest suspension bridge in the world. To commemorate the architectural wonder, we have compiled a series of pictures that depict the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Let us take a look at the Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge- in pictures.
1) Workers put up the first section of a large safety net that will extend from shore to shore beneath the bridge.
2) A worker walking on one of the catwalks being built for the construction of the cable.
3) A view of the under-construction tower of the Golden Gate Bridge.
4) A picture depicting tourists viewing the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge, 1936.
5) A worker inspects the levee that connects Fort Point to the South Tower of the bridge.
6) Another picture depicting the huge safety net set up during the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.
7) A picture depicting men fishing on Baker Beach, with the under-construction bridge in the background.
8) A United States Navy battleship sails under the cables of the under-construction bridge, 1936.
9) Workmen on the catwalks bundling the cables of the bridge.
10) A picture depicting the near-completed bridge.
11) Workmen working on the cables of the bridge.
12) A picture depicting the installation of the bridge floor during the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.
13) A picture depicting a worker standing on the main cables of the bridge.
14) A picture depicting the South Tower during the construction of the bridge.
15) The setting up of the bridge floor.
16) Workmen working on the cables of the bridge.
17) The bridge opens up for pedestrians on 27 May 1937.
18) A picture depicting the inaugural drive across the bridge, 1937.
19) Military aircraft fly over the Golden Gate Bridge during the opening day gala.
20) A picture depicting the official grand opening of the Golden Gate Bridge on May 29, 1937.
Enjoyed the above article? You may also enjoy the Construction of the Hoover Dam- in pictures